Good quality henna powder and cooled tea is one of the simplest and most effective henna paste recipes I use. I tried to pad this recipe out to make it look more blog post like, but there wasn’t much to add, it is really simple!
Here is the recipe and technique:
- 100g of henna powder
- 1 large mug of strong black tea – I use 3 x PG tips – cooled.
- Plastic gloves
- Cling film
- Cotton wool
- A hat!
- Mix your henna powder with the cold black tea to a nice ‘dropping’ or yoghurt consistency.
- Leave the mix for 1 hour to ‘brew’. Apply the henna to your hair, remembering to use plastic gloves – this henna paste will stain your hands and your nails so the gloves are a necessity!
- Wrap your hair in cling film / saran wrap, so that the henna is fully covered. In winter you can then put a hat on to keep your head warm, in summer you can do withuot the hat.
- Leave the henna on for 1 ,3 or any length of time up to 12 hours depending on the colour you want to acheive.
An alternative recipe is to use lemon juice instead of tea, this gives a slightly subdued colour on hair – at odds with the effect on body art, where a lemon juice mix is crucial too a strong bright stain. You can see the difference in colour here: