Looking after your henna
You can see from the henna stain progression chart that henna applied to skin has a magical darkening property, which if looked after well will keep for between 7 -14 days, and sometimes for longer. The following tips will help you keep your stain fresh and strong.
- The longer the henna paste is in contact with the skin, the stronger the colour will be. For brides I particularly recommend that you keep your henna paste on for at least 9 hours.
- Your henna stain will be bright orange to begin with, but it will get darker over the next 48 hours. If you are having henna done for a particular occasion, you should bear this timescale in mind, get your henna done 2 days in advance of when you want it to look at its best.
- If you go swimming, or use bleach products, this will lighten the stain considerably, so avoid this if you want to keep your stain strong.
- To protect the stain you can shield it using barrier cream or vegetable oil.
- The stain will last between one week and three weeks, depending on where it is, how often you wash / use that part of the body and your individual skin chemistry.
- When you want to get rid of the remnants of a stain you can use an every day skin exfoliant to remove it.