The strand of hair on the left shows the colour of blonde hair after 1 hour. The strand of hair on the right shows the colour of blonde hair after 12 hours.
Cassia adds subtle brown tones to henna, especially when it has been left on for a long time.
Henna and cassia for hair recipe
- 1 x 100g packet of Hennacat Organic Cassia Powder
- 1 x 100g packet of Hennacat Premium Organic Henna Powder
- Fresh, strong, black tea, cooled to lukewarm.
You will also need:
- A bowl that will not stain
- A spoon that will not stain
- Cling film
- Vinyl gloves
- Cotton wool balls
- Large cone (not necessary, but makes application easier)
- Sift the two powders into the bowl and mix them together. This will help prevent the powder from clumping when you add the liquid.
- Add the cooled tea to the powders a small amount at a time, mixing until smooth. You are aiming for a paste that is soft, but not drippy.
- Once fairly well mixed, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for about an hour. Don’t worry if there are a few lumps.
- After an hour, mix the paste again and any lumps should disappear.
- If you are using a super cone, transfer the mix into the cone and tie the open end of the cone in a knot.
To apply to your hair
- Have the cling film, gloves and cotton wool balls ready.
- Unroll approx 5 cotton wool balls, so you have sausages of cotton wool.
- Put on your gloves. Apply the paste to the crown of your head, and then along the length of your hair. Once your hair is fully covered with paste, massage it into the hair and make sure you have event coverage.
- Remove any paste from your skin, otherwise you will have orange stains to deal with for a couple of days.
- Wrap your hair in cling film, tucking the cotton wool at the edges of your hair line to prevent drips.
- Leave on for between 1 – 12 hours depending on the colour you want to achieve.
- Rinse out and dry.
- Use old or dark towels for the first few hair washes after dying
- Protect your skin from staining with a thick layer of moisturiser or lip balm – or you can pick up special protective balms from henna suppliers
- the true colour appears after a few days, so apply henna / cassia a few days before any significant events