Using high quality aromatherapy grade essential oils in your henna paste will give you beautiful rich dark stains. The essential oils will also change the texture of the henna paste making it smooth and silky, and not only that they will add a beautiful scent.
‘Terps’ is short for monoterpine, a term commonly used by henna artists when adding essential oils to their freshly made henna paste.
Generally you need 10-30mL (1/3-1 ounce) of oil per 100 grams of henna powder. Do not use more than 30mL (1 ounce) of oil per 100 grams of henna powder. The better the henna powder the less oil you need to get great colour.
The following oils are good to mix with henna:
- Black pepper – adds a spicy warm scent to your henna
- Cajeput – used in tiger balm and linaments for sore muscles, add to your henna paste to achieve a beautiful dark long lasting stain (medical advice should be sought if you have not been in contact with cajeput oil before)
- Frankincense – a popular ingredient for cosmetics and incense burners for centuries. A few drops can be added to henna for scent
- Lemongrass – adds a lemon like smell that is milder, sweeter and less sour
- Peppermint – adds a lovely sweet, spicy scent
All the above oils can be purchased from Hennacat here
Special care must be taken when using essential oils on pregnant clients especially in the early stages.
DO NOT apply directly onto skin